Thread: TulAmmo Review

Default TulAmmo Review

With a baby comes gift cards. Of those gift cards, almost 75% of them are going to be to Walmart simply due to the fact that most people (rightly so) believe that new parents want to stretch their dollar as far as possible. Personally, I despise the place with an utter burning hatred as I work in a field that competes directly with the Hillbilly Haven.

However, I now have money to burn there a bit since 4 vendors were kind enough to give me some gift cards for my daughter's birth, but we really don't buy anything there. I've taken to funding my shooting hobby with cheap Wal Mart ammo simply because they carry the common calibers at reasonable prices.

I was fully planning on picking up some ho-hum Blazers to run through my Glock for its workout. It's getting cool again which means that unless I'm dressing to where it will show, I'm packing my G36 over my LCR. I can conceal it just fine, it's got a little more firepower, and it's got a little more thump to it than my beloved .38 special. I have to get used to the snap of the Glock again.

I stepped up to the counter to see what they had in stock. Thankfully, the ammo drought is over here, and for once I have to scan all the boxes to try and find what I need rather than look for what they might have.

I spied a good chunk of TulAmmo (or Tula Ammo if you will) in .45acp. I have seen that Cheaper Than Dirt and J&G are stocking this ammo, and I was curious about it. In case it's not obvious, it's manufactured in Russia (think Tula Arms) and is a steel cased 230gr fmj. By looking alone, I don't think I would be able to tell any difference between this stuff and Wolf or Bear.

The big deal: Walmart has a box of 50 at $14.94 a box That's about what 9mm was at not too long ago. At that price, even a cash strapped new dad can practice with his "punkun chucker" from time to time. But how does it shoot?

Well, I conservatively bought a box to try. I have to say, I like it It seems to be a little more accurate out of my Glock than either Blazer or PMC brand. It's just as dirty (as far as I can tell) as Wolf or Bear. Lots of smoke. However, the Glock being a Glock it took it all in stride. I was keeping respectable groupings at 7 yards, and I am of the mindset that .45 heavy hard ball is nothing to sneeze at for SD. Yes, I keep jhp +p loaded in my gun most of the time, but for the price I can't practice often with it. I like to feel comfortable in knowing what I am shooting for practice at paper will have a reasonable chance of getting the job done should I, God forbid, need it to.

So for value and performance, I have to give Tula Ammo a . If you reload or if your range restricts steel casing this obviously isn't going to be for you. However, if you want a good cheap (if a bit dirty) practice ammo, I've had no issues with it. I plan on picking up another 3 boxes to keep on hand.

somebody please buy me a custom tittle CWO4USCG's Avatar

Default Re: TulAmmo Review

there isn't anything wrong with 230 gr. ball ammo for defense purposes either; like hitting someone between the eyes with a pickaxe...instead of a stiletto!
    Some of us has decided to add your name to the list of never sell to; we suggest you step back from your keyboard and take a 1-2 year break fro the internet.

Carries a mean falcata! Ad Astra's Avatar

I think the steel case is harder on the extractor; can't remember if that's an issue with Glocks/G36 ... might simply mean, "replace your extractor every 20,000 rounds." Meaning, nothing.

Commie ammo= good; funky smell.

Mike

Ye Original 7.62mm Full-Metal-Jacketed Bastid (CLB O TRU BSTDS)

somebody please buy me a custom tittle Login's Avatar

I like the Ivan ammo just fine,works,fairly accurate,cheap-what's not to like?

The American habit of crying that it'll break your gun is bullshit,if it does your gun is just a race car:looks great,works great,high maintenance

But it is ungodly dirty,a box of fifty is like chucking your gun into a coal shoot!

"We love kitties, gawd bless their little whiskers, and we don't give a damn whether they or we are superior or inferior! They're confounded pretty, and that's all we know and all we need to know!"~H.P. Lovecraft "Ye snarky bastd,Club'o true bastds"

Yeah, Mike, I was reading that someone noticed a "chip" in his extractor, but he couldn't be sure if it was the ammo that caused it or not. His .45 Glock was a police trade in, and he wasn't sure how many times someone had dropped the slide release on a live round.

I'm not really worried about. I doubt I'll wear out much of anything on my Glock (I'm not rich enough to shoot it that much), but an extractor is pretty cheap and easy.

I hate my Glock. It's so utterly unsexy, but too damn practical, cost effective, and reliable. Finding a readily available and affordable ammo is making it tough to keep it at home.

Probably quoted in a sig line by now BigJoe's Avatar

Five, have you ever considered radiusing the extractor claw? I heard some guys do this to the edge that chips (typically the lower edge of the claw) and it keeps the damage at bay.

No first hand experience and I tend to take guys on the web, who fail to produce pictures after claiming modification X fixed the issue, with a grain of salt. Personally I am torn between thinking Glock is ok with the chip issue as it causes additional parts purchases from them/ certified armorers or them not fixing the issue by radiusing the part at the factory because it is a non-issue.The chipping thing seemed to happen with the gen 2.5 guns and earlier models, as I have not seen many accounts of the LCI extractor do this, though my haphazard way of reading stuff leaves a bunch of holes for information to slip past me.

-Joe

Just got back from the range; it's been five freakin' months. Bullshit job. Anyways.

Took four boxes Tula 9mm ($10/WallyWorld) and .45 ($15). Shot it through G17 and G30SF.

100% function of course. Kinda sweet smell, not like typical Commie-brand funk. Not that dirty either.

Range was insane. I can understand the rifle range being nuts, with deer season upon us; many Goobers only fire their rifles once a year, right before the start. But the pistol range was crazy.

Guy was shooting a .22, mixed bag of ammo. Some of them were those tracers you see in the catalogs. Lit his fuckin' target on fire, calling for an emergency cold line and further wait. Never saw that happen.

The Tula: good stuff; I'll buy again; especially in .45. I may have even seen it in .380; that caliber's back on the WW shelves- now that I gave up on it; bought and carry Kahr PM9.

Mike

The badger hole. 39 55' 59.50"N 105 16' 45.69"W

I'm wondering how the .223 performs?

Ye Original Fiendish Bstd (CLB O TRU BSTDS)

Study the soul to know the sword. Evil mind, evil sword.

Rio is a cheap bastid, I NEED A TITTLE TWBryan's Avatar

I reload my ammo,love the .45acp and my G21sf. Hey,Five what kind of Glock do you own? The dirtiest ammo I've found is loaded with unique,always a mess. I stopped using it in pistols prefer to use bullseye,burns faster less mess.
    TWBryan

"Live forever apes."

I'm the only one in the landing party wearing a red shirt.

If when hell is full, the dead will walk the earth,where am I going for a vacation?

Ye Alleged Racist Bstd (CLB O TRU BSTDS)

Quote Originally Posted by TWBryan View Post
    I reload my ammo,love the .45acp and my G21sf. Hey,Five what kind of Glock do you own? The dirtiest ammo I've found is loaded with unique,always a mess. I stopped using it in pistols prefer to use bullseye,burns faster less mess.
    My only Glock (so far. Looking to bring a G17 and a 33 round mag into the fold sooner or later) is a G36. It's great for me. It gives me the stopping power of the .45 acp, but it's not super chunky/heavy like a double stack. To be quite honest, the only reason I haven't picked up another Glock or a 1911 is that the G36 is just perfect for my needs.

I hear you about the range. My brothers from another mother (because they actually ARE brothers) and I went to the "shoot at your own risk" DNR range yesterday. It was really crowded. The only lane that wasn't used was the 200 yarder

We ran into some nice guys next stall over from us shooting some .40 and .22 rifle. For price sake, we also were running a lot of .22 and 9mm....Of course, I couldn't help myself and decided to touch off a little .357 out of my big ass new Blackhawk They chuckled and we exchanged some good natured words. Then I decided that they needed a taste of .454 with 30 grains of unholy black

We all had a great time. Ya know, you meet some of the nicest folks at the range. Lotta good fun with good people

I still would like to get my hands on a Glock 30. Though sometimes I think a 26 would be easier to conceal,and shoot. Yup,I rarely run into ugly natured people at the gun range. Everyone there seems to be having a good time.
    TWBryan

"Live forever apes."

If when hell is full, the dead will walk the earth,where am I going for a vacation?

Quote Originally Posted by Five View Post
    My only Glock (so far. Looking to bring a G17 and a 33 round mag into the fold sooner or later)...
    You do want this (or G19, or G26). I have a bunch of 33s, including the cheaper Khan ones; all work 100%. Carbine firepower at the switch of a mag.

What I want (do not need) is a "Baby Glock" G26. Love the idea of hideout gun one second, pop in 33-rounder, crisis really really averted. You pretty much have to put the gun down; you get too tired to shoot that whole mag at once.

The Tula had a "dry" feel; I know Glocks like everything dry but I'd run the ammo through a gunrag before loading next time.

Mike

The devil made me do it Andrew Colglazier's Avatar

I've shot a lot of steel cased ammo out of my Glocks with no ill effect.

I would bet that a lot of people who experience chipped extractors also load the chamber by dropping a round into the chamber through the ejection port, then dropping the slide, followed by inserting the magazine. Dropping the slide on a loaded chamber will lead to chipped or broken extractors.

Andy
    Don't obsess. Just live.

Ye Original Smelly Bstd (CLB O TRU BSTDS)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Colglazier View Post
    I've shot a lot of steel cased ammo out of my Glocks with no ill effect.

I would bet that a lot of people who experience chipped extractors also load the chamber by dropping a round into the chamber through the ejection port, then dropping the slide, followed by inserting the magazine. Dropping the slide on a loaded chamber will lead to chipped or broken extractors.

Andy
    Yup. Mausers are this way ... I have the "Mauser controlled-feed" mentality; must load magazine, even to fire one shot, every time.

Mike

Spammer Royale with cheese fixer's Avatar

i boought two boxed of Tula 9 at Wallyworld... and the guy who got it out of the case for me was saying it's "steel core".

i suspect he meant it's steel jacketed, but the steel is washed with copper, much like the case.

not to worried about that, since i was just getting two boxes to try out in my new PF9. don't think two boxes will wear out the bore.

might be worth checking with a fridge magnet to the projectile just to see.

only protential poblem i see with rounding otf the point of the extractor on the glock would be that you'd be going thru the Tenifer finish and it might be prone to rusting then. doesn't seem like a critical spot it did rust a little. clean it off and hit it with some cold blue.

I still would like to get my hands on a Glock 30. Though sometimes I think a 26 would be easier to conceal,and shoot. Yup,I rarely run into ugly natured people at the gun range. Everyone there seems to be having a good time.
    26 or 27 will be a little slimmer than a 30.

personally, i had a 26 that i got after the initial rush for them died down and the prices at local dealers dropped down to the price point of all the other 9 and 40 Glocks.

didn't like it, quickly sold it once i got a 19. for CCW in a good IWB holster on a good belt, the 19 works just fine IMHO, and is easier to get a grip on. the abbreviated grip on the 26 was a bit stubby to quickly get a grip and draw.

however, now that the AWB nonsense is over (as long as you live in a free state) and you can put +2 baseplates on G26 mags i may pick one up again if i can find a deal on one.

sooo, with 4 19s and one 17, i'm considering getting another 26 again.

and a 30SF would be nice too.

my EDC is a G19, with a spare G17 mag. the 17 rarely comes out of the safe.

Knockout artist okie headhunter's Avatar

my hi-points love the stuff. cheap gun cheap ammo, what a world

Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    ... the abbreviated grip on the 26 was a bit stubby to quickly get a grip and draw.

however, now that the AWB nonsense is over (as long as you live in a free state) and you can put +2 baseplates on G26 mags i may pick one up again if i can find a deal on one.

The baseplates make a huge difference with the small Glocks, IMHO. I wasn't sure about the G30SF until the guy put a Pearce baseplate on it; I bought it on the spot. I suspect the G26 may be similar.

Remember (Jake), the small Glocks can become "larger," the large ones can't get smaller. I use G21 magazines with A&G grip extensions to make a G21 out of my G30SF. These work perfect.

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Products.aspx?CAT=24

Mike

i had some Pearce +0 baseplates on the G26 mags, and the A&G extenders on G19 mags.

the +0s did't really help much with the grip, and while the grip adapters felt good in use, they absolutely sucked on reloads and would pinch my palm. basically they required a slow, careful reload.

Thanks for the info ,think I will pass on the 26,and go back to thinking about the 30 or 19. I'm at the sad stage in life where I have more guns I'd like to get rid of then ones I'd like to have...

26 or 27 will be a little slimmer than a 30.

personally, i had a 26 that i got after the initial rush for them died down and the prices at local dealers dropped down to the price point of all the other 9 and 40 Glocks.

didn't like it, quickly sold it once i got a 19. for CCW in a good IWB holster on a good belt, the 19 works just fine IMHO, and is easier to get a grip on. the abbreviated grip on the 26 was a bit stubby to quickly get a grip and draw.

sooo, with 4 19s and one 17, i'm considering getting another 26 again.

my EDC is a G19, with a spare G17 mag. the 17 rarely comes out of the safe.
    TWBryan

"Live forever apes."

Thanks for the info ,think I will pass on the 26,and go back to thinking about the 30 or 19. I'm at the sad stage in life where I have more guns I'd like to get rid of then ones I'd like to have...

i'd say to list the guns you want and the guns you don't want... but i need to take my own advice on that and list some of the .308s i can't really shoot any more after my problems with my right eye.

the 30SF feels a LOT like a 19, at least to me. didn't try a SF back to back with the standard 30, but the 21 is a bit fat for me and i expect a similar fit from the normal 30.

I used to have a 26, and while it was a great little gun, very reliable and accurate, I traded it in for a compact Glock.

IMO it was too big to be a BUG, and too small to be a main gun. It would be good for someone who carried two guns and didn't plan to rely on a reload. I found reloads to be difficult to perform rapidly due to the very short grip.

This problem could be rectified by adding extensions to the magazines, but at that point one may as well carry the larger model.

Andy
    Don't obsess. Just live.

Once I make the list what then? I'd be quite pleased to thin the ranks a bit,but really have no stomach to deal with people. It's hard to look at somebody and detect whether they are in this country legally or not,or if they are a convicted felon. And there's the rub...
    I think the 30sf would be fine for me.If I had the money to buy the reloading equipment and stuff I would be ok carrying a 9mm. Yes I like .45 acp more,but the model 19 I tried had no discernible recoil in my hands. I could probably achieve excellent accuracy with it.

i'd say to list the guns you want and the guns you don't want... but i need to take my own advice on that and list some of the .308s i can't really shoot any more after my problems with my right eye.

the 30SF feels a LOT like a 19, at least to me. didn't try a SF back to back with the standard 30, but the 21 is a bit fat for me and i expect a similar fit from the normal 30.
    Last edited by TWBryan; 11-29-2010 at 10:45 PM.
    TWBryan

"Live forever apes."

Yes,I can see that.The model 19 was almost the gun I bought at the time,I was however swayed my the model 21sf. Big gun,big bullets,very manageable recoil. Should have gotten a model 30 then,well maybe someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Colglazier View Post
    I used to have a 26, and while it was a great little gun, very reliable and accurate, I traded it in for a compact Glock.

IMO it was too big to be a BUG, and too small to be a main gun. It would be good for someone who carried two guns and didn't plan to rely on a reload. I found reloads to be difficult to perform rapidly due to the very short grip.

This problem could be rectified by adding extensions to the magazines, but at that point one may as well carry the larger model.

Andy
    TWBryan

"Live forever apes."

Once I make the list what then? I'd be quite pleased to think the ranks a bit,but really have no stomach to deal with people. It's hard to look at somebody and detect whether they are in this country legally or not,or if they are a convicted felon. And there's the rub...
    I think the 30sf would be fine for me.If I had the money to buy the reloading equipment and stuff I would be ok carrying a 9mm. Yes I like .45 acp more,but the model 19 I tried had no discernible recoil in my hands. I could probably achieve excellent accuracy with it.
    if you sell it out of your area on Gunbroker or any of the forums, like ARFCOM, here or wherever just figure out what shipping will cost and list that as a seperate add on to the price. it's not as convienient as FTF, but they'll need to go thru a NICS check, or have a valid CCW if their states waives the bkand check with one.

unfortunately, my state doesn't, and my county has a BS handgun registration, so even FTF handgun sales need to go to a substation to do the registration.

as far as checking if they're a resident of your state for FTF sale, checking the DL works... unless they've got a fakee, which i guess is possible, but seems like a lot of effort to go thru to buy a gun. and AFAIK, you're covered (legally) by simply asking if they're a convicted felon or not. proving that you asked may be an issue, but you can get keychaiin sized video cameras for only a few bucks now. FL has CCW, so you could make having a valid CCW a condition of sale. that may tweak some people, but many potential buyers will understand it.

then there's simply selling to people you know. if someone is a regular poster on a regional gun board, it's unlikely that they're someone you wouldn't want to sell to, but anything is possible.

and if you have a local shop that's friendly, with good people behind the counter and good traffic thru the store they'll probably sell it on consignment for a percentage, usually 10% of the sale price... and then they need to run the background check.

i know... selling a gun has a few more complications than selling a vehicle or something, but you're not "married" to a gun you don't want any longer, for whatever reason.

i've bought several and sold a few guns "cash and carry" and i've bought more than a few with background checks.

ARFCOM has a huge number of people reading the ads for whatever they're looking for. if your asking price is reasonable stuff should sell, but some things are more desirable than others... and if someone is going to end up paying for shipping and transfer, plus background check then it either needs to be something they can't find locally, or at a better price than they can find locally. handguns have to go priority overnight and long guns don't. as long as you have a box that fits it it's usually $25 to ship either, but very heavy stuff may cost more. in my area, transfers are usually$25 for up to 3 guns. some places are cheaper and some places are much more expensive. i've gotta say it's the buyer's problem if they don't know a local shop with a reasonable price... but then that impacts what they're willing to pay making it indirectly the seller's problem.

sorry, we seem to have gotten off on a tangent from the TulAmmo this thread was supposed to be about, but i haven't heard anyone screaming about it.

Thanks Fixer I appreciate the advice and will follow it. Right now I'm thinning out my knife collection,Next will be either the guns or the tools.
    TWBryan

"Live forever apes."

Rides on the little bus

Default TulAmmo Review

I am a new Hi Point 9mm owner. I purchased Blazer ammo and had no problems. When I purchased TULAMMO, my piece jammed several times. Is this an issue with the bullet not fitting in the clip very well or should I do something different. It also looked like it damaged the barrel a bit. Any suggestions or comments?

NOTE: I'm aware that Hi Point is one of the most inexpensive on the market and I also know very little about handguns.

Quote Originally Posted by timorg View Post
    I am a new Hi Point 9mm owner. I purchased Blazer ammo and had no problems. When I purchased TULAMMO, my piece jammed several times. Is this an issue with the bullet not fitting in the clip very well or should I do something different. It also looked like it damaged the barrel a bit. Any suggestions or comments?

NOTE: I'm aware that Hi Point is one of the most inexpensive on the market and I also know very little about handguns.
    Hi timorg, welcome to the forum! Please be sure to go to the Sandbox and introduce yourself!

Most firearms will be finicky to some degree or other about what ammo they like. If your HiPoint works with Blazer and not with the other, there could be many reasons for this, but I like to go with what works. It would be difficult to diagnose what is actually causing the problem though, without being able to inspect the pistol.

Andy
    Don't obsess. Just live.

Quote Originally Posted by timorg View Post

Welcome

What part of Kentucky do you hail from?
    When you said it damaged the barrel, where did it hurt it? Is it the rifling, the muzzle crown, or maybe some peening where the slide meets?

While Hi Point isn't the highest quality gun in the world, I'd be surprised that the actual bullet damaged the firearm. Maybe the steel case beating up the extractor prematurely or not feeding correctly and causing jams. If you have a real concern, I would take it to a gunsmith or back to where you bought it to make sure.