Welcome to Ramanon
We are a community dedicated to knives, guns, and archery. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today! Having issues signing up? Contact us here!
Photo

FN-FAL - Build

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

cavetech

cavetech

Stuck In A Cave

• Members
  • 5,229 posts
By way of setting up this story I thought I'd give a little background. I like to collect military rifles. I also like to rebuild and build them. The FN-FAL has been called the assault rifle of the world. I didn't have one so this project was born.

Early last year I bought a metric pattern Imbel FN-FAL parts kit that is believed to have come from Chile. It is one of those rifles that looks like it has been carried a lot, but fired little. Parts and bore look very good. The finish is unimportant since I will completely refinish it.

I've waited about 6-7 months to get a DS Arms upper receiver to complete the rifle. Research suggested that DSA made the highest quality receivers. I ordered mine with a cut for the carry handle. Yesterday I finally got my upper receiver after fhp-490 handled the transfer for me.

So, here is what I have.

The major parts.
Posted Image

An idea of what the rifle will look like when assembled.
Posted Image

Notice the rear of the barrel has a piece of the original receiver attached and will have to come off so the new receiver can be installed.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Here is where the upper receiver attaches to the lower receiver and butt stock.
Posted Image

What would an assault rifle be without a bolt, bolt carrier and charging handle?
Posted Image

There is a lot of work ahead of me. I'll continue to post here and update the project. This should be fun. To be legal in the US this rifle will have to contain 7 parts made in the US. For this build those parts will be something like gas piston, gas tube, hammer, sear, trigger, pistol grip, furniture.

In about 6 months the upper receiver should arrive for my Austrailian L1A1 build.

Thanks for looking.
Steve

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.myownplace.us or www.countryarms.org

Never Holster an Empty Gun..........................

fhp490

fhp490

Spammer Royale with cheese

• Members
  • 825 posts
Cave

Do you have the main spring tool?
If you don't do not try to take it out till you get with me.
After it smacks you betwween the eyes glances of of your forehead goes thorugh your roof and lands in the Bahamas we will be ordering another after you get out of the emergency room.

Bring your butt stock to the shop and i'll build you one on the lathe.
:usaflag:Your Freedoms Were Paid For By The Blood Of America’s Vets! If hooking up an terrorist prisoner's nuts to battery cables will save just one American life, then there are 3 things to remember,'Red is positive, Black is negative, and Make sure his nuts are wet.:tu:::usaflag:

cavetech

cavetech

Stuck In A Cave

• Members
  • 5,229 posts
I don't have the mainspring tool for the buttstock.

The instructional VCR's mention it's strong.

Next Saturday we can make that tool and save my forehead!
Steve

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ad Astra

Ad Astra

Carries a mean falcata!

• Members
  • 10,835 posts
An awesome thing to have... long did I want a G3, but wanted one of these even moreso.

Congrats, Steve.

(always heed spring warnings. I KNEW the CZ52 spring could, well, ah, nevermind.)

Mike :tu:
Posted Image
archer1 Ye Original 7.62mm Full-Metal-Jacketed Bastid (CLB O’ TRU BSTDS) [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

omniviking

omniviking

somebody please buy me a custom tittle

• Members
  • 2,061 posts
I always liked FAL's and my favorite is the commonwealth version, so if your use so aussie parts it could be good enough for me. Pat
:cornfused Guns do not make you a killer. Killing makes you a killer.:satanlook :shrug: You can kill someone with a baseball bat or a car. But no one is trying to ban you from driving to the ballgame. :slap:

cavetech

cavetech

Stuck In A Cave

• Members
  • 5,229 posts
I find the main spring that is embedded in my forehead helps me sense when objects are near so I don't bump into them.
Steve

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sigosaur

Sigosaur

• Members
  • 3,336 posts
Someone at werk was jest askin' me 'bout a .308 from DSArms ... said it was basically a FAL. And I've heard folks refer to 'em 'fore. But as of yet, I don't know what they are. I mean, obviously it's a automatic rifle. But I don't know if it's descended from the SKS, M1A, 'er what. Who's used it ... fer what ... when?

Anyone got a link that won't keep me busy fer more 'n a couple minutes, yet answer most of that? :therock:

Ye Original Mean ol’ bastid at arms Bstd (CLB O’ TRU BSTDS)

Jim Bell

Jim Bell

• Members
  • 2,305 posts

I find the main spring that is embedded in my forehead helps me sense when objects are near so I don't bump into them.

Ohh you laugh now....

Posted Image

**P.P.L.L.** Follow your Bliss **

Good reading

INTP

cavetech

cavetech

Stuck In A Cave

• Members
  • 5,229 posts

Someone at werk was jest askin' me 'bout a .308 from DSArms ... said it was basically a FAL. And I've heard folks refer to 'em 'fore. But as of yet, I don't know what they are. I mean, obviously it's a automatic rifle. But I don't know if it's descended from the SKS, M1A, 'er what. Who's used it ... fer what ... when?

Anyone got a link that won't keep me busy fer more 'n a couple minutes, yet answer most of that? :therock:

DSA makes a FN-FAL clone that they call the SA-58.

My new receiver has SA-58 stamped on the right side.

I think the SA-58 is actually an FN-FAL with a civilian name brand.

The FAL parts kits come from select fire rifles. When you build one using an after market receiver, the receiver limits it to semi-automatic fire. Rather like the M-16 vs. the AR-15.
Steve

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

cavetech

cavetech

Stuck In A Cave

• Members
  • 5,229 posts
Next I chose to remove the old nub of a receiver from the barrel. This isn't my idea, I'm not that clever. I saw it done on a video tape made by the Gunplumber.

I clamped the receiver end of the barrel in a padded vice and got out a Dremel Tool with a cut off wheel. There is an indentation along one side of the old receiver and that is where I used the Dremel Tool to cut a groove front to back on the old receiver. The intention is to cut the groove deep enough to just about touch the barrel threads. Easy does it here. You can tell when you are deep enough. You will see the tips of the barrel threads if you go deep enough. The video said if you nick the barrel threads it doesn't matter. Your face will be close to the work to do this. Wear safety glasses. I had 4 cut off wheels fly apart doing this.

Dremel cutting groove along receiver.
Posted Image

When the groove has been cut get a big ass cold chisel and a big ass ball peen hammer and drive the cold chisel into the end of the receiver nub where you cut the groove and hit that chisel good and hard. Maybe a few times. Suddenly the old receiver splits right down the groove you cut and spreads slightly. Cold chisel tip is on the right. Cleaning rod points to the groove which has a very nice split right along it.
Posted Image

Clamp the barrel flats in the padded vice and grab the receiver nub with a wrench and unscrew it from the barrel. It came off quite easily. I used a big crescent wrench. I imagine you can use a pipe wrench. The nub is a throw away part.
Posted Image

The old demilled receiver nub is off the barrel without a mark on the barrel or threads.
Posted Image

This was the toughest job I am suppossed to encounter in dissassembling the FAL. It was easy.

To be continued.

Thanks for looking.
Steve

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Smiley Bob

Smiley Bob

Cornfusions beez a way o life fer Bob

• Members
  • 3,656 posts

Next I chose to remove the old nub of a receiver from the barrel. This isn't my idea, I'm not that clever. I saw it done on a video tape made by the Gunplumber.

I clamped the receiver end of the barrel in a padded vice and got out a Dremel Tool with a cut off wheel. There is an indentation along one side of the old receiver and that is where I used the Dremel Tool to cut a groove front to back on the old receiver. The intention is to cut the groove deep enough to just about touch the barrel threads. Easy does it here. You can tell when you are deep enough. You will see the tips of the barrel threads if you go deep enough. The video said if you nick the barrel threads it doesn't matter. Your face will be close to the work to do this. Wear safety glasses. I had 4 cut off wheels fly apart doing this.

Dremel cutting groove along receiver.
Posted Image

When the groove has been cut get a big ass cold chisel and a big ass ball peen hammer and drive the cold chisel into the end of the receiver nub where you cut the groove and hit that chisel good and hard. Maybe a few times. Suddenly the old receiver splits right down the groove you cut and spreads slightly. Cold chisel tip is on the right. Cleaning rod points to the groove which has a very nice split right along it.
Posted Image

Clamp the barrel flats in the padded vice and grab the receiver nub with a wrench and unscrew it from the barrel. It came off quite easily. I used a big crescent wrench. I imagine you can use a pipe wrench. The nub is a throw away part.
Posted Image

The old demilled receiver nub is off the barrel without a mark on the barrel or threads.
Posted Image

This was the toughest job I am suppossed to encounter in dissassembling the FAL. It was easy.

To be continued.

Thanks for looking.

Mostest cool, will looky forwards ta more!
Smiley :tu:
Ye Gun Luv'n Chatty Bastid (CLB O’ TRU BSTDS)

cavetech

cavetech

Stuck In A Cave

• Members
  • 5,229 posts
Today I ordered the parts needed to make the rifle US compliant.

I need 7 US made parts. The receiver counts as one part. I chose to replace the hammer, trigger, sear, gas piston, charging handle and grip. While I was on the phone I figured what the heck and ordered a new butt stock and rubber butt plate as well as new handguards. I think that technically gives me 9 US compliant parts.

This gives me the freedom to use the original muzzle brake (which I think is cool), any make of magazines I come across and even an original bayonet.

The parts will be in early next week. In the meantime I have to get a receiver wrench.
Steve

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rocketmonty

rocketmonty

Smart AND Good Looking!

• Members
  • 66 posts
just in case you need the barrel align tool and receiver plates plus the head spacing tool . let me know:pirate::beernana:

cavetech

cavetech

Stuck In A Cave

• Members
  • 5,229 posts

just in case you need the barrel align tool and receiver plates plus the head spacing tool . let me know:pirate::beernana:

I most certainly do!

Whatcha got?

You can e-mail me which I can respond to faster tomorrow.

ramanon at cox.net.
Steve

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

CWO4USCG

CWO4USCG

• Members
  • 2,040 posts
Nice...keep going and you will look like this:

Posted Image
Posted Image

This is my gun show $475 L1A1...US internals and muzzle protector. Aussie upper and lower, IMBEL Receiver, a very good shooter. Apparently it started life as a CAI Thumbhole Sporter but a previous owner completed the transition back to L1A1.

NJStricker

NJStricker

Rio is a cheap bastid, I NEED A TITTLE

• Members
  • 4,794 posts
Very cool thread. My brother has an FN49 in 7x57. Very fun to shoot.

cavetech

cavetech

Stuck In A Cave

• Members
  • 5,229 posts
The original barrel screwed into the new DSA upper receiver by hand. I would screw it in a short way and back it out a bit and repeat until it screwed all the way in and stopped against the receiver. After the first time the parkerized coating was chased off the receiver threads and the barrel screwed in and out with ease.

Here is an important part of the project. Barrel timing. When the barrel is finally screwed into the receiver and tightened the front sight has to be vertical. You can imagine the results if the front sight leaned to one side or the other, not to mention the gas tube and piston wouldn't align.

There is a small rounded notch on the barrel. It should line up at the 11:00 o'clock position when screwed in tight by hand. The 11:00 o'clock position is defined by an imaginary triangle at the base of the the gas tube port on the receiver. Then when the barrel is torqued down the front sight should be lined up vertically.

In the photograph the brass punch is pointing to the rounded notch on the barrel. The pic is dark so take a close look for it.

The pencil points to the imaginary triangle at the base of the gas tube port.

As you see, my barrel notch lines up at the 10:00 o'clock position. This means the mating shoulder at the base of the barrel will have to be turned down on a lathe just enough to index the barrel notch at the 11:00 o'clock position against the receiver. Fhp-490 will do the machining this Saturday.

Attached Images

• barrel timing.jpg

Steve

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

cavetech

cavetech

Stuck In A Cave

• Members
  • 5,229 posts
I took my barrel and receiver to the machine shop of gunsmith Russ Fritz (fhp-490) so he could do the machining needed to time the barrel to the receiver. Russ had his big lathe pretty much set up and waiting for my job.

Perhaps one thousandth of an inch had to be removed from the torque shoulder of the barrel so it would align with the receiver properly when tightened. In other words the front sight had to be perfectly vertical and the extractor notch had to align with the extractor. That's what the lathe was used for.

The barrel in front of the sight was placed in the chuck.
Posted Image

The breech end needs to be secured and steadied during turning. One way to do this was to just run the live center into the chamber. Russ had a more innovative method which also protected the chamber from possible damage from the live center. He previously chucked and center bored a .308 dummy round to insert into the chamber and the dummy round would accept the live center. Take a look at the prepped dummy round.
Posted Image

Here is the breech. You will see the dummy round inserted into the chamber that the live center will go into and help steady the barrel while turning.
Posted Image

When the tool is cutting it is much easier to see what it is doing if you color the metal area being worked on with a stain called Dykem. It's a liquid that just brushes on with a self applicator.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Cutting the torque shoulder. Go easy and only take a little off at a time and check your progress by screwing the receiver on.
Posted Image

A posed shot showing the relationship of the cutting tool to the torque shoulder.
Posted Image

Here is the tail stock and tool assembly in cutting position.
Posted Image

Check your work frequently. Russ (left) with micrometer. He's mic'ing the barrel flats so he can modify a 1-1/16" open end wrench to fit on and tighten the barrel. Me (right) with the receiver to check barrel timing.
Posted Image

This dark picture shows the barrel timing to be at 11:00 o'clock, exactly where it should be after the lathe work but before tightening the barrel.
Posted Image

Build to be continued.
Steve

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

cavetech

cavetech

Stuck In A Cave

• Members
  • 5,229 posts
Today was assemble the FAL day. I headed over to the gunshop of Russ Fritz (fhp-490) because I needed two specialty tools machined so the FAL barrel would be timed correctly with the receiver. In other words screw in the barrel and have the front and rear sights line up correctly when done.

I needed two timing tools made.

One was a 1/4" diameter rod threaded on one end to screw into the front sight assembly. So Russ chucked an aluminum rod in the lathe, turned one end down to the right diameter and threaded it 12x28.

The second tool was more involved. It was an aluminum block that would secure in the upper receiver with a 1/4" rod sticking up precisely dead center. So Russ mic'd the inside width of the upper receiver and then milled an aluminum block to the precise size. Then it was drilled through so a 1/4"x20 bolt could be inserted and tightened to secure the block in the receiver. Tho final process was to insert an aluminum rod into the block in the receiver so it was sticking straight up.

Picture the barrel being screwed into the receiver. For the final tightening of the barrel one rod stuck up from the front sight and one rod stuck up from the top of the receiver. When you could look down the length of the receiver and barrel and both vertical rods were as perfectly aligned (like sights) as the eye can tell, then stop tightening the barrel. It is timed to the receiver and hopefully when the rifle is assembled both sights will be lined up and the front sight isn't canted over to one side.

Here is the rod for the front sight being threaded.
Posted Image

This is how the inside of the upper receiver is measured with a micrometer to determine how wide to machine the aluminum block.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Coat one side of the block with Dykem and scribe a line at precisely the right width.
Posted Image

Carefully set up the block in a milling machine and mill it to the proper width to fit in the receiver.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

When the block is the correct height and width use the milling machine to bore a hole into the block exactly in the center. This hole will hold the rod.
Posted Image

Then drill a hole all the way through on a drill press for the retaining bolt to go through. I can't find this pic, but I bet you get the idea.

Here is the rod installed in the front sight.
Posted Image

Here is the aluminum block secured in the top of the upper receiver with the rod in it from the top.
http://pics.ramanon..../P1010024~0.jpg

Receiver block from the bottom.
http://pics.ramanon....22/P1010025.jpg

Then clamp the receiver wrench around the front of the receiver and put it in a big vice, tightly. Screw the barrel in and put a wrench with a cheater bar on it for leverage. You're going to need leverage to do the final tightening on the barrel. When the front sight rod and the receiver rod line up you are done. This shows the position of the rods after tightening the barrel into the receiver.
http://pics.ramanon..../P1010029~0.jpg

http://pics.ramanon..../P1010032~0.jpg

When I got home it was time to assemble my FAL. Here are the main parts groups.
http://pics.ramanon....22/P1010034.jpg

Front portion of the rifle with gas tube installed and then the handguards.
http://pics.ramanon....22/P1010037.jpg

Lower receiver and buttstock assembly.
http://pics.ramanon....22/P1010042.jpg

Finally the rifle is assembled. It's not head spaced yet and of course it isn't refinished.
http://pics.ramanon....22/P1010043.jpg

http://pics.ramanon....22/P1010048.jpg

It is now US compliant with a minimum of 7 parts made in the US.
Upper Receiver
Trigger
Sear
Hammer
Gas Piston
Pistol Grip
Cocking Handle

I could replace the plastic furniture and have 9 US parts.

Special thanks to:
Russ Fritz (fhp-490) for his skills as a machinist and gunsmith. He is THE man to contact for any gunsmithing in my opinion. We've worked together on a number of special projects.

"Court" from the FAL Files. The barrel timing tools were his idea.

To be continued.
Steve

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

fhp490

fhp490

Spammer Royale with cheese

• Members
  • 825 posts
Cave did everything work out right.
It looks great.
:usaflag:Your Freedoms Were Paid For By The Blood Of America’s Vets! If hooking up an terrorist prisoner's nuts to battery cables will save just one American life, then there are 3 things to remember,'Red is positive, Black is negative, and Make sure his nuts are wet.:tu:::usaflag:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users