Welcome to Ramanon
We are a community dedicated to knives, guns, and archery. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today! Having issues signing up? Contact us here!
Photo

.357 Handi Rifle

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

tstetz

tstetz

Y'all's brains are local, mine is long distance!

• Members
  • 309 posts
Posted Image

Here's my latest project. It started as a .243 Handi Rifle with wood youth stocks. A trip to H&R brought a .357 Magnum barrel, I swapped out the wood for Choate youth stocks and had my local smith whack the barrel back to 16 1/2 inches giving the gun an overall length of just 30 inches. Some Uncle Mikes swivels and an old M-1 Carbine sling completed the project.

This has been one I've wanted to do for a long time now. For me it's a darn near perfect camp gun. Very compact, simple and rugged, and with a fair bit of versatility of ammo loadings. I can go from snakeshot and .38 wadcutters up to Buffalo Bore 180gr hard cast lead loads good for deer or probably even PA black bear if I really had to.

The barrel is a little stout but the overall package is very handy and it shoulders and points great. I'm real happy with how this one turned out.
There are some who call me... Tim

Woodsmonkey.com

SpookyPistolero

SpookyPistolero

Ramanon ownz me and I need a custom title

• Members
  • 1,860 posts
Yes it's still awesome, and yes I still hate you. :slap:

Seriously, cool rifle. That's the ideal for a lot of people.

Why won't they make that in a light-barrel version as standard production?

"I don't play games like that. I play games like the one where I drop you on an island without any clothes on and hunt you. Or Uno. I enjoy Uno, as well."

Ye Original Spooky Bstd (CLB O’ TRU BSTDS)

munk

munk

somebody please buy me a custom tittle

• Members
  • 3,073 posts
That is nice. It's hard to resist having a bigger cartridge in the chamber, 'just in case'. A lot of folks would have done the 357 Max, or the 35 Rem.

The 357 is a great woods cartridge. In carbine barrels it is adequate for deer. It is pleasent and cheap to shoot.

munk

stevomiller

stevomiller

Only one way to go, Up!

• Members
  • 2,556 posts
Very nice!

Do the new synthetic stocks weigh more or less than the original wood? How much does the complete rifle weigh now? I kind of like that thick barrel, I think that it would make it easier to shoot offhand. A peep sight on the receiver would be a cherry on top for me.:) What is the overall length of that rascal? Damn but its kinda cute and butch all at the same time!

I think that it would be cool if they offered .357 in the ultra light model with a barrel the same length as yours. It would carry great (but maybe not shoot as nice).

Thanks for sharing this with us. I hope it puts a lot of meat in the pot!

Good Lord I just read my post and it looks like I have ADHD and do meth. Sorry!

TheMightyGoat

TheMightyGoat

Dead girls never say no

• Members
  • 3,761 posts
That looks to be a good combination.
</ :goat: >

tstetz

tstetz

• Members
  • 309 posts
Stevo:

It's 30 inches overall. While the youth stock is a short length or pull its still pretty comfortable to shoulder. It'd work great with a heavy winter coat without trouble too this way.

The synthetic stocks are lighter than the wood. I do prefer the look and feel of then over the smooth wood on the Handi-Rifle but the real gain was weight in this case.

The barrel weight is a mixed blessing. It actually handles and balances quite well from the shoulder and probably will shoot great (haven't shot it at 16 inches yet, hopefully this weekend), but it would be nice if it were lighter for general lugging around. I have an H&R 12 gauge of similar proportions and its much lighter due to the thin walled barrel.

I just dropped the gun on my digital bathroom scale. Not sure how accurate that is but it comes in at 6 pounds even with sling and swivels installed.

Munk:

H&R doesn't do .357 Max any more. It's a quick and easy process to lengthen the chamber for it apparently so I guess it is an option for the future if I see the need. Right now though since I'm not currently reloading I'm not too inclined to do so. .357 Max is some what of a rare bird unless you're rolling your own.

.35 Rem wouldn't give me the versatility of loadings I was hoping for and would preclude matching it up with a revolver as well.

Woodsmonkey.com

Ad Astra

Ad Astra

Carries a mean falcata!

• Members
  • 10,839 posts
A well thought-out setup. :tu:

Is buttstock storage for a few of those .357 speedloader strips a possibility?

Mike
Posted Image
archer1 Ye Original 7.62mm Full-Metal-Jacketed Bastid (CLB O’ TRU BSTDS) [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SpookyPistolero

SpookyPistolero

Ramanon ownz me and I need a custom title

• Members
  • 1,860 posts
Forgot to ask- how do you like that M2000? I've been thinking of getting one of those for a while...

"I don't play games like that. I play games like the one where I drop you on an island without any clothes on and hunt you. Or Uno. I enjoy Uno, as well."

Ye Original Spooky Bstd (CLB O’ TRU BSTDS)

Smiley Bob

Smiley Bob

Cornfusions beez a way o life fer Bob

• Members
  • 3,656 posts
Very cool! very custom.
Bob :tu:
Ye Gun Luv'n Chatty Bastid (CLB O’ TRU BSTDS)

stevomiller

stevomiller

Only one way to go, Up!

• Members
  • 2,556 posts
+1 on Spooky's question. And that is a nice sheath that you have, much nicer than the factory job.

Stevo

tstetz

tstetz

• Members
  • 309 posts
Re: stock storage

No real way to do it it without unscrewing the rubber buttpad (two Phillips screws). It wouldn't be fast to get into anyway.

Re: M2K

Mora 2000 is a great knife. Big comfy grip and a nice size and shaped blade. Off looking grind but it works fine. I think I'll use mine much more now that I got a good sheath for it. That's a Gundy sheath from JRE leather. Great stuff. :tu:

Woodsmonkey.com

TWBryan

TWBryan

Rio is a cheap bastid, I NEED A TITTLE

• Members
  • 3,524 posts
Neat setup.

TWBryan  I'm the only one in the landing party wearing a red shirt. If when hell is full, the dead will walk the earth,where am I going for a vacation? Ye Alleged Racist Bstd (CLB O’ TRU BSTDS)

Swampman

Swampman

ramanons holy diver

• Members
  • 1,598 posts
Many NEF .357 magnum barrels will chamber .357 Max. without doing anything. Nice little gun! I've been wanting a .357 magnum barrel for a long time.

cavetech

cavetech

Stuck In A Cave

• Members
  • 5,229 posts
That's a really nice custom conversion and you have exactly what you want.

That gives me the impression of a bull barrel.

Have you had a chance to see how it shoots and groups?

I like it.
Steve

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.myownplace.us or www.countryarms.org

Never Holster an Empty Gun..........................

tstetz

tstetz

• Members
  • 309 posts
Not yet. I took it out 2 weekends ago when the barrel was still 22" long. I just plinked though to give it a function fire. The weather was crappy and snow was on the ground so I put out an old bleach jug at 25 then 50 yards. It kicked that around nicely. I plan on sighting it in correctly now that it's done and getting an idea what it'll do.

Bill Siegle has a similar set up with 16" tube. he said he can hit clay birds at 100 yards with his. I believe that was offhand. I'll be quite happy if I can do the same with this one.

Woodsmonkey.com

Sigosaur

Sigosaur

somebody please buy me a custom tittle

• Members
  • 3,336 posts
Congratulations on gittin' exactly what ya want!

With ammo prices the way they are ... hell, with the way they was 5yr ago ... and with yer not reloadin', .357 is perfect. Back when I bought factory ammo, a box of 158gr LRN were jest $1 more 'n a box of 115gr 9mm FMJ. And I remember gittin' JSP .357 fer jest over $15/50rd. Whatever the prices are today, I'm sure yer still jest that much less 'n .44 'er .45.

BTW, I really like the sights ya got on there ... I bet they's really fast! :devil:

Oh ya, one thing that came to mind, the local machine shop 'round here'll flute a bbl fer not that much money ... jest a thought. :beernana:

Ye Original Mean ol’ bastid at arms Bstd (CLB O’ TRU BSTDS)

tstetz

tstetz

• Members
  • 309 posts
I was wondering about fluting the barrel actually! E.R. Shaw is local and I think they'll do barrel fluting as well. I may give 'em a call at some point and see.

Re: ammo

Nice thing with .357 is I can shoot .38's too. I was using 148gr wadcutters and 158gr RNFP's the other day when I was out along with 158 and 180gr .357's. Tried some snake shot while I was at it as well.

Woodsmonkey.com

Jsp129

Jsp129

Rides on the little bus

• Members
  • 2 posts
I know this is old but what sights are u using

tstetz

tstetz

• Members
  • 309 posts

I know this is old but what sights are u using

Just the factory irons that came on it. This is an older .357 barrel from when they still offered them with iron sights.

Woodsmonkey.com

Jsp129

Jsp129

Rides on the little bus

• Members
  • 2 posts
Gotcha thanks for the info

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users