Welcome to Ramanon
We are a community dedicated to knives, guns, and archery. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today! Having issues signing up? Contact us here!
Photo

Marlin bolt action 22 mag. Model 982vs

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

jimkho

jimkho

Off the stinky bus

• Members
  • 6 posts
Do any of you guys have experience with the Marlin bolt acion 22's? Looking at buying one - it has micro groove rifling and I've heard that it can cause problems in bigger calibers. I'd appreciate any advice. It looks like it's between this and a CZ.

forager

forager

The raffle's wizard

• Members
  • 994 posts
I'm not familiar with the 982vs but I have had a Marlin 883ss W.M.R. for about 20 years and the rifling is bright and crisp. It has the micro-groove rifling and it was a tack driver right out of the box. :tu: :tu:
Eats SP and HP ammo no problems. IMO you can't go wrong with a .22 from Marlin.:devil:

Swampman

Swampman

ramanons holy diver

• Members
  • 1,598 posts
I had an Marlin 882 that was pretty accurate, but had feeding and extraction issues. I traded it for a Marlin 1894 in .22 Magnum. My Glenfield 25 also has feeding and ejection issues. I don't think I'll buy another Marlin bolt action .22.

stevomiller

stevomiller

Only one way to go, Up!

• Members
  • 2,556 posts
All my friends rimfire Marlins have been plenty accurate, but as stated many have had feeding issues. The tube fed ones seem to be better than the ones with the removable magazines.

If you can get a CZ at a good price you will have a better gun tho. There are quite a few of us here on the board that have various models, and they are very good rifles. :beernana:

By the way, welcome to Ramanon!

munk

munk

somebody please buy me a custom tittle

• Members
  • 3,073 posts
Marlin sells more .22's than anybody...at least they used to. I didn't know about the feed and extraction problems. I'd buy one- the price is usually right. If one had money the CZ is very nice.

There's nothing wrong with micro groove. It's been in Marlin .22's for a long time.
There are certainly issues with micro groove and cast bullets in larger centerfire cartridges.

I hate these threads because they always remind me of more good things I wish I owned...

munk

Swampman

Swampman

ramanons holy diver

• Members
  • 1,598 posts
Centerfire Micro-Groove barrels shoot lead bullets just fine.

jimkho

jimkho

Off the stinky bus

• Members
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the help guys. Hope I can return the favor sometime.

NJStricker

NJStricker

Rio is a cheap bastid, I NEED A TITTLE

• Members
  • 4,797 posts
I've had good success with both Marlin and CZ .22 rifles. Both are very accurate. One caveat of the CZ to consider is that if you intend to mount a scope, their dovetail is metric, and so finding solid mounts can be a challenge. There are some after-market mounts available that are pretty good, including an adapter to convert the metric (11mm???) dovetail to a standard Weaver-style base so that you can install a 1-inch scope. The bases can be expensive, however, compared to Marlin.

stevomiller

stevomiller

Only one way to go, Up!

• Members
  • 2,556 posts
Centerfire Microgroove barrels will shoot lead bullets well, it just takes different load development. But it can be done and still have accuracy and no leading.

The CZ is a much more solidly built rifle than the Marlin, even tho they are both accurate.

If you want to get more research done, go to www.rimfirecentral.com

As far as CZ rings go, Midsouth Shooters Supply stocks many varieties that are quite inexpensive, as well as the original CZs at a substantial discount. 11mm dovetails are the same size used on the majority of quality European air rifles so they are available, just maybe not at your corner gunshop or Uncle Wally's House of Chinese Wonders.

Have fun with whichever one that you purchase. Gotta love a new rifle!

NJStricker

NJStricker

Rio is a cheap bastid, I NEED A TITTLE

• Members
  • 4,797 posts
Stevo,

Thanks for the info about Midsouth, it has been a while since I looked for rings for my Brno and CZ's, and a few years back the only decent ones I could find were around $60.

Nathan

stevomiller

stevomiller

Only one way to go, Up!

• Members
  • 2,556 posts
You're welcome Nathan. Also, if people are new to CZ rimfires here is a factoid:
The Full-stock (mannlicher), the Lux, the Trainer, Basic and Scout models are 11mm dovetails. All of the American models are 3/8s dovetails. The Varmint models vary depending on caliber and time of manufacture. BTW, the CZs seem to use slightly higher rings for a given scope than some other rifles, due to the shape of the bolt handle and clearance issues.

Midsouth's website isn't always the easiest to use. I have compiled a list of rings that are designed to be used with 11mm dovetails that are available from them.

Warne All Steel
• Medium Matte 223-721M $18.87
• Medium Gloss 223-721G $18.87
• High Matte 223-722M $18.87
• High Gloss 223-722G $18.87

B-Square AirSport
• Low 080-25010 $14.37
• Med 080-25015 $14.37
• High 080-25020 $14.37

Leupold
• Med Gloss 154-54231 $37.19
• High Gloss 154-54234 $37.19

Millet Angle-Loc, Windage Adj. Steel
• High Matte 131-BN00023 $29.39

CZ
• No Description 226-19001 $53.65

All prices and information were taken from their 2008 Spring master catalog. They are pretty good folks to deal with, I have been buying from them for over 20 years.

munk

munk

• Members
  • 3,073 posts
Swampman,
Yes, you can shoot lead in centerfire microgroove barrels but it is not ideal. That is why Marlin offers ballard rifling. It may even say it on their webpage- the traditional rifling is in answer to those who wanted to shoot lead primarily through their marlins.

Steve- . "Centerfire Microgroove barrels will shoot lead bullets well, it just takes different load development. But it can be done and still have accuracy and no leading."

What you stated is correct, but there are limits and restrictions to the weight and shape of projectiles with the different calibres. A new to marlin person may not know about ballard vs microgroove. It's not like you can get a microgroove barrel and then shoot whatever lead bullet you like. You can't. It takes more care and there are far less choices. It's not just powder selection. The heavier projectiles will work in the 45/70, for instance, but a 300 gr lead can be trouble.

I guess if you and others think there are no differences other than load selection in shooting lead or jacketed bullets in microgroove barrels i'd have to disagree and urge a new buyer to ask Marlin.

>>>>>>>
I've never owned a marlin that wasn't accurate, but I've only owned three. Other Marlin owners say much the same, however. I've never felt the need to justify the expense of jettisoning my 45/70 1885SS in favor of a ballard cut style barrel. I'd like one, but it's not worth changing.

I wonder if Marlin would rebarrel to ballard? Probably not.

munk

stevomiller

stevomiller

Only one way to go, Up!

• Members
  • 2,556 posts
When I spoke of load development I was being all inclusive of all aspects ~ bullet weight, shape, lead hardness and lube, seating depth, not just propellant type and charge . These are all things that I would deal with in any gun I was to shoot lead. So, I agree with you but you just didn't know it yet:slap::D They are definitely more finicky than a barrel with traditional deep cut rifling. Speaking of old school traditional rifling, my dad's old two groove '03 Springfield shoots cast bullets real well.

And Marlin will rebarrel your gun if you so desired. I forget the cost, but there have been several folks on leverguns.com and marlinowners.com that have had such work done. But I am with you, if it ain't broke don't fix it! Besides, in my over regulated state I probably won't be able to shoot jacketed lead bullets pretty soon, let alone cast lead. So soon the point would be moot for me at least. :sadnana:

munk

munk

• Members
  • 3,073 posts
There you go- My 45/70 shoots great.

I've a excellent article on shooting cast lead in micro groove 45/70 marlins...but never really needed to utilize it.

I wish more people would realize how anti gunners go about their work. Restricting half a state from shooting lead is a perfect example. Science? What science? We must save the Condor. Wonder how much tax revenue the Ca government lost when it destroyed the gun and shooting industry? You'll have to pay for that, Steve. They never thought otherwise. I really hate them, and I grew up in Ca and loved her. The democrats ruined the great state of California.

munk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users