Welcome to Ramanon
We are a community dedicated to knives, guns, and archery. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today! Having issues signing up? Contact us here!
Photo

Pistol Caliber Comparison Picture

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Rampy

Rampy

Spammer Royale with cheese

• Members
  • 981 posts
In all reality there is not much difference between these calibers & one should just rely on em to fight your way to a long gun.....

Posted Image

Ad Astra

Ad Astra

Carries a mean falcata!

• Members
  • 10,771 posts
You forgot 7.62x25 :D

Posted Image

Mike
Posted Image
archer1 Ye Original 7.62mm Full-Metal-Jacketed Bastid (CLB O’ TRU BSTDS) [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rampy

Rampy

• Members
  • 981 posts

You forgot 7.62x25 :D

Posted Image

Mike

Is that a "real" caliber :shrug: :poke: :poke: :pirate::pirate: :D

Portagee Kawika

Portagee Kawika

Geoduck Wrangler

• Members
  • 3,787 posts
http://gunsandammoma...ader=image/jpeg

Heh.

CWO4USCG

CWO4USCG

somebody please buy me a custom tittle

• Members
  • 2,026 posts
Posted Image
.357 Sig, .40 S&W, , 9x25 Dillon, and 10mm

some rifle cartridges I photographed a few years ago:

Posted Image

Some of us has decided to add your name to the list of never sell to; we suggest you step back from your keyboard and take a 1-2 year break fro the internet.

Sigosaur

Sigosaur

• Members
  • 3,336 posts
Havin' reloaded a few of them, I can't help but have a certain appreciation fer the .40sw.

Jest holdin' it in my hand, it's like it's the perfect case.

Lately, I been loadin' it fer my SV 'n my G20 ... long, fer both (though neither don't necessarily need to be).

I ain't no blind follower of the late Col. Cooper ... but I gotta wonder why he didn't start out with the .40sw 'n jest load it long. :cornfused

From what I hear, with the small primer, the case is actually more durable than the 10mm. :therock:

Anyhow, I like it plenty. :nanadance

Jest wish someone made a single-stack that could actually feed it. :slap:

I know Springfield makes/made a double-wide .45 ... be nice if they made a double-wide .40sw ... not even fer IPSC ... jest so folks could buy a reliable .40sw in 1911-style.

Ye Original Mean ol’ bastid at arms Bstd (CLB O’ TRU BSTDS)

Rampy

Rampy

• Members
  • 981 posts
The 40 does nothing better than the .45 and is just marginally better than the 9mm, but at a loss of mag capacity.....

It's not as flat shooting as the 357sig, does not have the range or penetration capability of the 357sig..........

Not as powerful as the 10mm and in fact was designed as a scaled down 10mm as many FBI agents had major problems with the 10mm being to big and powerful............

But it is better than the .22, 25 and 380 :pirate::pirate:

No thanks, I'll pass on the 40 short and weak..........:D:D

Sigosaur

Sigosaur

• Members
  • 3,336 posts

The 40 does nothing better than the .45 and is just marginally better than the 9mm, but at a loss of mag capacity.....

It's not as flat shooting as the 357sig, does not have the range or penetration capability of the 357sig..........

Not as powerful as the 10mm and in fact was designed as a scaled down 10mm as many FBI agents had major problems with the 10mm being to big and powerful............

But it is better than the .22, 25 and 380 :pirate::pirate:

No thanks, I'll pass on the 40 short and weak..........:D:D

Wow! Posted Image ... I see yer well-read ... on the interlink. :lol:

Not 'nuff coffee this mornin'? :poke:

Don't git me wrong ... I like the 9mm ... I'm gittin' old ... and loud noises frighten me.

I'm also paranoid, so I need the awesome power of the .357sig.

And to prove I ain't jumpin' on the bandwagon, I'll take the .45acp over all that nonsense. Shit, I'll even load it with blackpowder! :poke:

sh00ter01

sh00ter01

• Members
  • 825 posts

I know Springfield makes/made a double-wide .45 ... be nice if they made a double-wide .40sw ... not even fer IPSC ... jest so folks could buy a reliable .40sw in 1911-style.

I came across a used double stack Para Ordnance 1911 in .40 at a gun shop one time (think the guy was asking $500). It was a compact 1911 with 13+1 capacity, but fit my hand real well. Would have bought it home if I was certain I could have fitted a standard 1911 ambidextrous safety and find extra mags (only had 1). I could have sworn it said P13 on the slide but a little searching around didn’t yield any results:shrug:

-sh00ter
:sniper:

When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk

A man can only be beaten in 2 ways; he gives up, or he dies…

Ye lazy Bstd (CLB O’ TRU BSTDS)

Rampy

Rampy

• Members
  • 981 posts

Wow! Posted Image ... I see yer well-read ... on the interlink. :lol:

Not 'nuff coffee this mornin'? :poke:

Don't git me wrong ... I like the 9mm ... I'm gittin' old ... and loud noises frighten me.

I'm also paranoid, so I need the awesome power of the .357sig.

And to prove I ain't jumpin' on the bandwagon, I'll take the .45acp over all that nonsense. Shit, I'll even load it with blackpowder! :poke:

Have seen a gunshot or 2, one guy was shot in the aorta with a .40 he lived long enough to get to the ER and died about 30 min after getting shot by the 40 short and weak.....

I'll take my 45 Colt's loaded with blackpowder......:pirate::pirate::pirate:

Or even better, how about a bowling ball cannon....:D:D

I've came face to face with pure de evil and the 1st and only thought in my empty head was that I was wishing for my 45 auto and that Mr Browning knew what he was doing when he designed the 1911........

Now my daily carry is either a Glock 19 or a Sig 239..........

Andrew Colglazier

Andrew Colglazier

The devil made me do it

• Members
  • 11,351 posts
Sigs are for prima donnas... good on ya for the Glock! Happy Nana

Andy
Don't obsess. Just live.

Ye Original Smelly Bstd (CLB O’ TRU BSTDS)

Rampy

Rampy

• Members
  • 981 posts

Sigs are for prima donnas... good on ya for the Glock! Happy Nana

Andy

Ummm, the glock in my beater pistol, it's been abused and who gives a shit about a glock anyway :lol::lol:

Noe the Sig 239 is my little dainty pistol & when I want the big pistol it's time to break out the Sig 229/TLR1 combo :beer1: :beer1: Only thing is it's hard to conceal such a big rig, but it's possible in a Raven Concealment belt holster :tu::tu:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Portagee Kawika

Portagee Kawika

Geoduck Wrangler

• Members
  • 3,787 posts
Posted Image

In all reality there is not much difference between these calibers and one should just rely on them to fight your way to an even longer gun...

Posted Image

Everything is relative of course. The variations between the calibers shown in the original post are insignificant compared to a long gun, true, but compared with each other they're different enough. There are also other "serious" pistol calibers that are quite a bit different than all of them. I posted a picture of one earlier.

Rampy

Rampy

• Members
  • 981 posts

Everything is relative of course.

Yep, saw a guy shot in the head with a .25 at point blank & it sort of broke the skin & lodged in the skin, bullet actually fell out on the ground.....

Pistol calibers even the "new" and highly vaunted Five-Seven that's not yet stood the test of time & does not have a long track record is just a pistol round, light bullet going fast....

It's not about the pistol, or the caliber but it's about stopping the fight and the actions that forced one to shoot....

However, using today's modern self defense bullet design's, (compare each caliber with like bullets and ammo) powder and such the actually difference between the major self defense rounds such as 9mm, 40S&W, 357Sig, .45ACP is extremly minimal and it's more about shot placement than anything......

Oh and nothing tops the 125gr JHP 357magnum round when it comes to one stop stops of goblins.....No handgun caliber has achieved this level...

Portagee Kawika

Portagee Kawika

Geoduck Wrangler

• Members
  • 3,787 posts

Pistol calibers even the "new" and highly vaunted Five-Seven that's not yet stood the test of time & does not have a long track record is just a pistol round, light bullet going fast....

It's too new to have a long track record. However, the track record that it's currently establishing seems to be impressive. My concern for it is twofold: that some (most?) agencies do not like to talk specifically about what they do (particularly when they've killed someone), leaving holes in said record; and secondly, that FN foists neutered coulda-been ammunition on civilian shooters and acts like it's the real deal.

I'm not talking about armor penetration in the latter case, before anyone asks. I'm merely talking about service-grade powder loads and defense-oriented bullet selections. It doesn't affect those of us who roll our own but I'd hate to see a promising idea die due to a misunderstanding.

It's not about the pistol, or the caliber but it's about stopping the fight and the actions that forced one to shoot....

I don't think that you'll find too many people who will argue with this concept in theory. In practice though, one tool is not the same as every other tool. There are differences (some significant in certain circumstances) and one must be comfortable with their choice, or they will be uncomfortable when they're using it.

However, using today's modern self defense bullet design's, (compare each caliber with like bullets and ammo) powder and such the actually difference between the major self defense rounds such as 9mm, 40S&W, 357Sig, .45ACP is extremly minimal and it's more about shot placement than anything......

Extremely minimal? Maybe, maybe not. There are enough differences there to confuse someone new to the field, no? And there are enough differences there to convince some of the old hands that their choice is correct and all others are useless. When one factors in FMJ (less of an issue for us civilians, but it's an issue for others) the problem becomes more complicated. Add realistic magazine capacities, recoil, feeding issues, even cost and availability, and now we're looking at something interesting.

To be honest, I personally believe that for a competent marksman, firing one aimed shot with no time limit and utilizing an efficient bullet design, the differences are insignificant. Outside of that it gets more complicated, and then we pay our money and we take our chances.

In fact, in some ways I miss having my equipment choices dictated to me. Things were so much simpler (and cheaper) back then. :)

Oh and nothing tops the 125gr JHP 357magnum round when it comes to one stop stops of goblins.....No handgun caliber has achieved this level...

Now you're fucking trolling. :D Everyone knows that 9x19/.40/10mm/.45 ACP/5.7x28/.41/.44/.38/.45 LC/.357 OMG is teh win, and all other calibers suck it sloppily.

That's actually a pretty good argument for one not being any better than the other, now that I think about it. (Or rampant consumerism. :))

Ad Astra

Ad Astra

Carries a mean falcata!

• Members
  • 10,771 posts

Yep, saw a guy shot in the head ...

...Oh and nothing tops the 125gr JHP 357magnum round when it comes to one stop stops of goblins.....No handgun caliber has achieved this level...

:cornfused I admit I've never seen anybody shot in the head :laugh: but the best one-stop round seems a non-debatable issue.

After the hundred monkeys get done re-inventing Shakespeare's works, they can take that one on.

Mike
Posted Image
archer1 Ye Original 7.62mm Full-Metal-Jacketed Bastid (CLB O’ TRU BSTDS) [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

BONES

BONES

I NEED TO GET A LIFE

• Members
  • 1,658 posts
Calm down everyone.....

The best pistol caliber is the one that YOU can hit the target with.

I have a P89 that I couldn't hit a dead cat with. My .22 MK II is a rabbit killer at 40 yards and don't even think about me and the GP100- I hit what I aim at with it.

Had a 44 mag that I couldn't hit crap with too.

Shoot what you are good with.

Now let's get a beer...:beernana:
"I would never use deadly force to guard ice cream. Pie, now. I'm a pie man; all bets are off with pie." Andy
"As a side note, there is no such thing as "almost" having a martini - you either do or you don't. :-)" Johnny West
Ye Solo Internet Bstd (CLB O' TRU BSTDS)

Rampy

Rampy

• Members
  • 981 posts
[quote name='EBR']Calm down everyone.....[/QUOTE]

Awwwww dad........:poke: :lol:

The best pistol caliber is the one that YOU can hit the target with.[/QUOTE]

Goes without saying....:tu:

[quote name='EBR']I have a P89 that I couldn't hit a dead cat with. [/QUOTE]

Well duh, it's a semi auto & not a .22 Ruger, what did you expect...accuracy...:cornfused

[quote name='EBR']My .22 MK II is a rabbit killer at 40 yards and don't even think about me and the GP100- I hit what I aim at with it.[/QUOTE]

As long as it's as big as a barn door....:shocked::rotflmao:

[quote name='EBR']Had a 44 mag that I couldn't hit crap with too.[/QUOTE]

Mrs Rampy is better with the .44 than Rampy is...:sadnana:

[quote name='EBR']Shoot what you are good with.[/QUOTE]

Yep.....

[quote name='EBR']Now let's get a beer...:beernana:[/QUOTE]

Diet Coors for everybody....:beer1::beer1:

Just don't ever get a Noveske as they are over priced for what you get & LaRue makes a much better product :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sigosaur

Sigosaur

• Members
  • 3,336 posts

Now my daily carry is either a Glock 19 or a Sig 239..........

I carried a P239 in the truck fer years ... Glock 23 'fore that ... I'd guess we're either both very smart ... 'er very lucky! :beer1:

A few months ago, I switched to a S&W 4.25in Scandium 1911 fer the truck ... I'd been carryin' the other S&W 4.25in Scandium 1911 I own fer over a year prior to that (when I take the family out) ... now that the former one has been "certified", I've ... uh ... "standardized". :D

I certainly don't mean to brag ... plenty of guys can whoop my ass ... but ya win USPSA Single-Stack 'nuff times, and suddenly carryin' a 1911 seems like a purdy good idea. :cornfused

Yes Andy, ya read that right ... when I take the family out in my Tahoe, I've actually got two guns! :nanadance

Oh ... CW, I know ya've got one of these, too ... 'er at least, ya did ... jest a werd of warnin', the blued Italian mags that come with it (MecGars?) ain't reliable (dimensions of the 4.25in Scandium ain't quite mil-spec) ... use Wilson Combat ETM's! Posted Image

maddawg918

maddawg918

Back pimping trannies cause the lord told him so

• Members
  • 8,873 posts

jest a werd of warnin', the blued Italian mags that come with it (MecGars?) ain't reliable (dimensions of the 4.25in Scandium ain't quite mil-spec) ... use Wilson Combat ETM's!

Sig, I picked up some mags recently, the guy I bought them from said they were government surplus. I tend to believe him, they're wrapped in that plain brown wrapper, got lot numbers stamped on the paper in red, and dated. They work very well in my Colt and Springfield. Think I paid about 9 bux each for them.

They work every bit as good as my Wilsons, McCormicks, etc. Thing I wonder is, what are they surplus from? I think the dates are from '07. :cornfused
Ye Original Heart-less Bstd (CLB O’ TRU BSTDS)

DFKCA #12

Trying to out orange Hoggie

Only a sith deals in absolutes.

The piper always gets his money. - Rio

Posted Image

"The Lord told me to be nice or I wouldn't get any pussy." Rio

"The only time you can have only 2 mags for your rifle and not be queer is if they are the big drum magazines." NJStriker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users