Welcome to Ramanon
We are a community dedicated to knives, guns, and archery. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today! Having issues signing up? Contact us here!
Photo

TulAmmo Review

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Five

Five

I NEED TO GET A LIFE

• Members
  • 1,896 posts
With a baby comes gift cards. Of those gift cards, almost 75% of them are going to be to Walmart simply due to the fact that most people (rightly so) believe that new parents want to stretch their dollar as far as possible. Personally, I despise the place with an utter burning hatred as I work in a field that competes directly with the Hillbilly Haven.

However, I now have money to burn there a bit since 4 vendors were kind enough to give me some gift cards for my daughter's birth, but we really don't buy anything there. I've taken to funding my shooting hobby with cheap Wal Mart ammo simply because they carry the common calibers at reasonable prices.

I was fully planning on picking up some ho-hum Blazers to run through my Glock for its workout. It's getting cool again which means that unless I'm dressing to where it will show, I'm packing my G36 over my LCR. I can conceal it just fine, it's got a little more firepower, and it's got a little more thump to it than my beloved .38 special. I have to get used to the snap of the Glock again.

I stepped up to the counter to see what they had in stock. Thankfully, the ammo drought is over here, and for once I have to scan all the boxes to try and find what I need rather than look for what they might have.

I spied a good chunk of TulAmmo (or Tula Ammo if you will) in .45acp. I have seen that Cheaper Than Dirt and J&G are stocking this ammo, and I was curious about it. In case it's not obvious, it's manufactured in Russia (think Tula Arms) and is a steel cased 230gr fmj. By looking alone, I don't think I would be able to tell any difference between this stuff and Wolf or Bear.

The big deal: Walmart has a box of 50 at $14.94 a box:shocked: That's about what 9mm was at not too long ago. At that price, even a cash strapped new dad can practice with his "punkun chucker" from time to time. But how does it shoot?

Well, I conservatively bought a box to try. I have to say, I like it:) It seems to be a little more accurate out of my Glock than either Blazer or PMC brand. It's just as dirty (as far as I can tell) as Wolf or Bear. Lots of smoke. However, the Glock being a Glock it took it all in stride. I was keeping respectable groupings at 7 yards, and I am of the mindset that .45 heavy hard ball is nothing to sneeze at for SD. Yes, I keep jhp +p loaded in my gun most of the time, but for the price I can't practice often with it. I like to feel comfortable in knowing what I am shooting for practice at paper will have a reasonable chance of getting the job done should I, God forbid, need it to.

So for value and performance, I have to give Tula Ammo a :tu:. If you reload or if your range restricts steel casing this obviously isn't going to be for you. However, if you want a good cheap (if a bit dirty) practice ammo, I've had no issues with it. I plan on picking up another 3 boxes to keep on hand.
Posted Image

CWO4USCG

CWO4USCG

somebody please buy me a custom tittle

• Members
  • 2,052 posts
there isn't anything wrong with 230 gr. ball ammo for defense purposes either; like hitting someone between the eyes with a pickaxe...instead of a stiletto!

Some of us has decided to add your name to the list of never sell to; we suggest you step back from your keyboard and take a 1-2 year break fro the internet.

Ad Astra

Ad Astra

Carries a mean falcata!

• Members
  • 10,911 posts
I think the steel case is harder on the extractor; can't remember if that's an issue with Glocks/G36 ... :cornfused might simply mean, "replace your extractor every 20,000 rounds." Meaning, nothing. :pirate:

Commie ammo= good; funky smell.

Mike
Posted Image
archer1 Ye Original 7.62mm Full-Metal-Jacketed Bastid (CLB O’ TRU BSTDS) [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Login

Login

Hockey masked madman

• Members
  • 3,521 posts
  • LocationWV The American Outback
I like the Ivan ammo just fine,works,fairly accurate,cheap-what's not to like?

The American habit of crying that it'll break your gun is bullshit,if it does your gun is just a race car:looks great,works great,high maintenance :satanlook

But it is ungodly dirty,a box of fifty is like chucking your gun into a coal shoot! :lol:

Idolmaster_Haruka_sig_4.jpg

Five

Five

I NEED TO GET A LIFE

• Members
  • 1,896 posts
Yeah, Mike, I was reading that someone noticed a "chip" in his extractor, but he couldn't be sure if it was the ammo that caused it or not. His .45 Glock was a police trade in, and he wasn't sure how many times someone had dropped the slide release on a live round.

I'm not really worried about. I doubt I'll wear out much of anything on my Glock (I'm not rich enough to shoot it that much), but an extractor is pretty cheap and easy.

I hate my Glock. It's so utterly unsexy, but too damn practical, cost effective, and reliable. Finding a readily available and affordable ammo is making it tough to keep it at home.
Posted Image

BigJoe

BigJoe

Probably quoted in a sig line by now

• Members
  • 161 posts
Five, have you ever considered radiusing the extractor claw? I heard some guys do this to the edge that chips (typically the lower edge of the claw) and it keeps the damage at bay.

No first hand experience and I tend to take guys on the web, who fail to produce pictures after claiming modification X fixed the issue, with a grain of salt. Personally I am torn between thinking Glock is ok with the chip issue as it causes additional parts purchases from them/ certified armorers or them not fixing the issue by radiusing the part at the factory because it is a non-issue.The chipping thing seemed to happen with the gen 2.5 guns and earlier models, as I have not seen many accounts of the LCI extractor do this, though my haphazard way of reading stuff leaves a bunch of holes for information to slip past me.

-Joe

Ad Astra

Ad Astra

Carries a mean falcata!

• Members
  • 10,911 posts
:wg: Just got back from the range; it's been five freakin' months. :satanlook Bullshit job. Anyways.

Took four boxes Tula 9mm ($10/WallyWorld) and .45 ($15). Shot it through G17 and G30SF.

:shrug: 100% function of course. Kinda sweet smell, not like typical Commie-brand funk. Not that dirty either.

:teeth: Range was insane. I can understand the rifle range being nuts, with deer season upon us; many Goobers only fire their rifles once a year, right before the start. But the pistol range was crazy.

:laugh: Guy was shooting a .22, mixed bag of ammo. Some of them were those tracers you see in the catalogs. :teeth: Lit his fuckin' target on fire, calling for an emergency cold line and further wait. :confusedAT: Never saw that happen.

The Tula: good stuff; I'll buy again; especially in .45. :cornfused I may have even seen it in .380; that caliber's back on the WW shelves- now that I gave up on it; bought and carry Kahr PM9. :shrug:

Mike
Posted Image
archer1 Ye Original 7.62mm Full-Metal-Jacketed Bastid (CLB O’ TRU BSTDS) [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

il bruche

il bruche

Badger of Eschaton

• Members
  • 9,785 posts
I'm wondering how the .223 performs?

Posted Image

Ye Original Fiendish Bstd (CLB O’ TRU BSTDS)

Study the soul to know the sword. Evil mind, evil sword.

Dazed and :cornfused

http://ilbruche.blogspot.com/

TWBryan

TWBryan

Rio is a cheap bastid, I NEED A TITTLE

• Members
  • 3,524 posts
I reload my ammo,love the .45acp and my G21sf. Hey,Five what kind of Glock do you own? The dirtiest ammo I've found is loaded with unique,always a mess. I stopped using it in pistols prefer to use bullseye,burns faster less mess.

TWBryan  I'm the only one in the landing party wearing a red shirt. If when hell is full, the dead will walk the earth,where am I going for a vacation? Ye Alleged Racist Bstd (CLB O’ TRU BSTDS)

Five

Five

I NEED TO GET A LIFE

• Members
  • 1,896 posts

I reload my ammo,love the .45acp and my G21sf. Hey,Five what kind of Glock do you own? The dirtiest ammo I've found is loaded with unique,always a mess. I stopped using it in pistols prefer to use bullseye,burns faster less mess.

My only Glock (so far. Looking to bring a G17 and a 33 round mag into the fold sooner or later) is a G36. It's great for me. It gives me the stopping power of the .45 acp, but it's not super chunky/heavy like a double stack. To be quite honest, the only reason I haven't picked up another Glock or a 1911 is that the G36 is just perfect for my needs.

I hear you about the range. My brothers from another mother (because they actually ARE brothers;)) and I went to the "shoot at your own risk" DNR range yesterday. It was really crowded. The only lane that wasn't used was the 200 yarder:confusedAT:

We ran into some nice guys next stall over from us shooting some .40 and .22 rifle. For price sake, we also were running a lot of .22 and 9mm....Of course, I couldn't help myself and decided to touch off a little .357 out of my big ass new Blackhawk:satanlook They chuckled and we exchanged some good natured words. Then I decided that they needed a taste of .454 with 30 grains of unholy black:laugh:

We all had a great time. Ya know, you meet some of the nicest folks at the range. Lotta good fun with good people:tu:
Posted Image

TWBryan

TWBryan

• Members
  • 3,524 posts
I still would like to get my hands on a Glock 30. Though sometimes I think a 26 would be easier to conceal,and shoot. Yup,I rarely run into ugly natured people at the gun range. Everyone there seems to be having a good time.

TWBryan  I'm the only one in the landing party wearing a red shirt. If when hell is full, the dead will walk the earth,where am I going for a vacation? Ye Alleged Racist Bstd (CLB O’ TRU BSTDS)

Ad Astra

Ad Astra

Carries a mean falcata!

• Members
  • 10,911 posts

My only Glock (so far. Looking to bring a G17 and a 33 round mag into the fold sooner or later)...

Happy Nana You do want this (or G19, or G26). I have a bunch of 33s, including the cheaper Khan ones; all work 100%. Carbine firepower at the switch of a mag.

What I want (do not need) is a "Baby Glock" G26. Love the idea of hideout gun one second, pop in 33-rounder, crisis really really averted. :satanlook You pretty much have to put the gun down; you get too tired to shoot that whole mag at once.

:cornfused The Tula had a "dry" feel; I know Glocks like everything dry but I'd run the ammo through a gunrag before loading next time.

Mike
Posted Image

Andrew Colglazier

Andrew Colglazier

The devil made me do it

• Members
  • 11,351 posts
I've shot a lot of steel cased ammo out of my Glocks with no ill effect.

I would bet that a lot of people who experience chipped extractors also load the chamber by dropping a round into the chamber through the ejection port, then dropping the slide, followed by inserting the magazine. Dropping the slide on a loaded chamber will lead to chipped or broken extractors.

Andy
Don't obsess. Just live.

Ye Original Smelly Bstd (CLB O’ TRU BSTDS)

Ad Astra

Ad Astra

Carries a mean falcata!

• Members
  • 10,911 posts

I've shot a lot of steel cased ammo out of my Glocks with no ill effect.

I would bet that a lot of people who experience chipped extractors also load the chamber by dropping a round into the chamber through the ejection port, then dropping the slide, followed by inserting the magazine. Dropping the slide on a loaded chamber will lead to chipped or broken extractors.

Andy

Yup. :laugh: Mausers are this way ... I have the "Mauser controlled-feed" mentality; must load magazine, even to fire one shot, every time.

Mike
Posted Image

fixer

fixer

Spammer Royale with cheese

• Members
  • 810 posts
i boought two boxed of Tula 9 at Wallyworld... and the guy who got it out of the case for me was saying it's "steel core". :cornfused

i suspect he meant it's steel jacketed, but the steel is washed with copper, much like the case.

not to worried about that, since i was just getting two boxes to try out in my new PF9. don't think two boxes will wear out the bore.

might be worth checking with a fridge magnet to the projectile just to see.

only protential poblem i see with rounding otf the point of the extractor on the glock would be that you'd be going thru the Tenifer finish and it might be prone to rusting then. doesn't seem like a critical spot it did rust a little. clean it off and hit it with some cold blue.

fixer

fixer

• Members
  • 810 posts

I still would like to get my hands on a Glock 30. Though sometimes I think a 26 would be easier to conceal,and shoot. Yup,I rarely run into ugly natured people at the gun range. Everyone there seems to be having a good time.

26 or 27 will be a little slimmer than a 30.

personally, i had a 26 that i got after the initial rush for them died down and the prices at local dealers dropped down to the price point of all the other 9 and 40 Glocks.

didn't like it, quickly sold it once i got a 19. for CCW in a good IWB holster on a good belt, the 19 works just fine IMHO, and is easier to get a grip on. the abbreviated grip on the 26 was a bit stubby to quickly get a grip and draw.

however, now that the AWB nonsense is over (as long as you live in a free state) and you can put +2 baseplates on G26 mags i may pick one up again if i can find a deal on one.

sooo, with 4 19s and one 17, i'm considering getting another 26 again.

and a 30SF would be nice too.

my EDC is a G19, with a spare G17 mag. the 17 rarely comes out of the safe.

okie headhunter

okie headhunter

Knockout artist

• Members
  • 2,508 posts
my hi-points love the stuff. cheap gun cheap ammo, what a world

Ad Astra

Ad Astra

Carries a mean falcata!

• Members
  • 10,911 posts

... the abbreviated grip on the 26 was a bit stubby to quickly get a grip and draw.

however, now that the AWB nonsense is over (as long as you live in a free state) and you can put +2 baseplates on G26 mags i may pick one up again if i can find a deal on one.

The baseplates make a huge difference with the small Glocks, IMHO. I wasn't sure about the G30SF until the guy put a Pearce baseplate on it; I bought it on the spot. I suspect the G26 may be similar.

Remember (Jake), the small Glocks can become "larger," the large ones can't get smaller. I use G21 magazines with A&G grip extensions :devil: to make a G21 out of my G30SF. Happy Nana These work perfect.

http://www.lonewolfd...cts.aspx?CAT=24

Mike
Posted Image

fixer

fixer

• Members
  • 810 posts
i had some Pearce +0 baseplates on the G26 mags, and the A&G extenders on G19 mags.

the +0s did't really help much with the grip, and while the grip adapters felt good in use, they absolutely sucked on reloads and would pinch my palm. basically they required a slow, careful reload.

TWBryan

TWBryan

• Members
  • 3,524 posts
Thanks for the info ,think I will pass on the 26,and go back to thinking about the 30 or 19. I'm at the sad stage in life where I have more guns I'd like to get rid of then ones I'd like to have...

26 or 27 will be a little slimmer than a 30.

personally, i had a 26 that i got after the initial rush for them died down and the prices at local dealers dropped down to the price point of all the other 9 and 40 Glocks.

didn't like it, quickly sold it once i got a 19. for CCW in a good IWB holster on a good belt, the 19 works just fine IMHO, and is easier to get a grip on. the abbreviated grip on the 26 was a bit stubby to quickly get a grip and draw.

sooo, with 4 19s and one 17, i'm considering getting another 26 again.

my EDC is a G19, with a spare G17 mag. the 17 rarely comes out of the safe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users